FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- + Why is Oxygen barrier tubing necessary?
For heating applications the oxygen barrier prevents oxygen from entering into the boiler system. Oxygen causes rust and sludge build up.
- + Are all Oxygen barriers created equal?
No. To get a 100% oxygen barrier you need to use Pex-Al-Pex tubing. Regular Pex tubing is not 100% barrier and the barrier easily comes off with rain, sun, and by abrasion as you install it.
- + What about insulation?
Insulation with an R-Value of 10 is used around the perimeter. This needs to be installed vertically around the entire project approximately 2 to 3 feet down. Under the slab you should have an r-value of 5 – 10.
- + What type of heat source is used?
With Hydronic floor tubing you have the option of many boilers. Gas, electric, bio-mass, wood, geo-thermal, waste oil, etc.
- + Can this be done as a DIY project?
Yes, as long as a qualified person has done the design details for you.
- + Why Floor Heat?
• It is the most efficient way to heat a building or home.
• Most comfortable. The heat is where you need it!
• Great for people with allergies.
• Multiple heat sources can be used.
• Does not lose all its heat when doors open.
• Radiant heat is out of sight. No UGLY tube convectors hanging from ceiling. (Tube convectors also burn the paint off of tall equipment)
• Very little maintenance
- + How stable is plastic tubing in concrete?
Copper and metal pipe have been tried, with pour results. The chloride in the concrete usually corrodes metal which causes leaks. Plastic pipe cannot corrode. The Pex-Al-Pex products are far more stable than regular Pex related to thermal expansion.
- + Can radiant floor be used on main level of homes?
Yes, through topping pours (gypcrete, liteweight concrete), warmboard, or between the joists, etc.
- + What is needed to get a quote?
Building size and use. If a heat loss analysis is needed than we need R-values, door sizes, windows, ceiling height.
- + How quick can I get my quote back?
Depends – usually within 24 hours. CALL RADIANT OUTFITTERS 877-855-2537